Frequently Asked Questions

What is electricity aggregation?

On August 10, 2009, Governor Quinn signed into law Public Act 096-0176, which allows municipalities to arrange for the provision of electricity to residential and small commercial retail customers by alternative electric suppliers (i.e. suppliers other than ComEd). Under the new law, the City may seek bids for the provision of aggregate electricity supply services to these customers, in hopes that the selected rate will be lower than the standard rate offered by ComEd.

Electricity aggregation combines the retail electric loads of customers, in this case with thousands of customers from eight communities. By combining the electrical loads, the community can leverage the buying power of thousands of residents and small businesses.

What is the North Shore Electricity Consortium?

The North Shore Electricity Aggregation Consortium (NSEAC) is a joint-purchasing cooperative consisting of eight communities: Deerfield, Glencoe, Highland Park, Lake Bluff, Lake Forest, Northbrook, Park Ridge and Skokie. By aggregating the electrical load of the consortium members, community leaders are able to negotiate a lower electric supply rate. After an extensive bidding process, the North Shore Consortium selected MC Squared Energy Services, LLC (mc²), to provide electricity supply services to its member communities.

Who is eligible to participate?

Eligible residential requirements: All residents located in the NSEAC member communities are eligible to participate.

Eligible business requirements: All small businesses located in the NSEAC member communities with an annual usage of 15,000 kWh or less are eligible to participate.

Are space heat customers eligible for the NSEAC negotiated rate with MC Squared Energy Services?

Yes. Recent regulatory changes at the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC Order No. 11-0498) eliminate the rate benefits for electric space heat customers. ComEd's electric space heat rate now matches ComEd's standard residential rate.

mc² electricity rates negotiated for the NSEAC program can result in significant savings for customers on ComEd’s electric space heat rate.

If you switch your electricity supply service to MC Squared Energy Services and at a later date elect to return to ComEd for electricity supply services, you will retain your Electric Space Heat Rate designation with ComEd if it continues to be available.

What will be my home electricity supply price?

Pursuant to the Power Supply Agreement terms between the NSEAC and mc2, your price is reset each June billing cycle to reflect the current market conditions. The new price, beginning on the June 2014 billing cycle, will be 6.688 cents per kWh for the standard price and 6.828 cents per kWh for the green product. The new price will continue to provide savings against ComEd rates.

Will my price reset if I’m already enrolled in the program?

Yes. Pursuant to the Power Supply Agreement terms between the NSEAC and mc2, your price is reset each June billing cycle. mc2 will automatically adjust the price for existing program participants beginning with the June 2014 billing cycle. Price notification letters were sent to all existing program participants in April of 2014. Corrected versions of the price notification letters are provided below.

Standard Price Notification Letter
Green Product Price Notification Letter
Lake Forest Price Notification Letter

What will change on my electricity bill?

The only real change to your ComEd bill will be the reduction in the price for electricity supply services. You will continue to receive a single bill from ComEd on a monthly basis. mc² charges for electricity supply and transmission services will be included in the "Electricity Supply Service" portion of your ComEd bill. ComEd will continue to bill you for distribution services and taxes. Payments should still be sent to ComEd at the address provided by the utility.

You will continue to be eligible for all ComEd payment plans, including e-bill, automatic bill payment and budget billing. In addition, if you are currently enrolled in the Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP), you will continue to receive the full benefits of the program.

How do I enroll?

All eligible residents can opt-in to the program on-line. Just get your ComEd bill, click on the community in which you reside, and follow the steps for enrollment. Click here to get started.You can also call mc² toll-free at 1-888-808-7731, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to opt-in.

What if I don’t want to participate?

You are not obligated to participate. If you wish to be excluded from this opportunity, call 1-888-808-7731 to opt-out of the program.

When will I start to see the savings on my electricity bill?

Depending on your ComEd meter read date, mc² will begin supplying your electricity on the next available meter read date after ComEd processes your enrollment. Your ComEd bill will reflect your new price the following month.

What if I have already switched to an Alternative Retail Electricity Supplier (ARES)?

If you have already switched to an Alternative Retail Electricity Supplier (ARES), including mc², you can still opt in on line or call mc² at 1-888-808-7731. You will need to provide your account number, name, address and phone. Please note that you may also be subject to early termination fees or other restrictions by your current provider. You should check with your current provider to better understand any restrictions or policies that might apply.

How is mc² different from ComEd?

mc² serves as a licensed Alternative Retail Electricity Supplier (ARES), selling electric power to residential and business customers. mc² purchases bulk power to be delivered to the ComEd system. ComEd, in turn, delivers that power, and thus serves as a local distributor in charge of the physical delivery of power to your residence. ComEd retains all control and responsibility for the distribution wires, substations, poles, and meters; in addition to being responsible for all service issues, such as outages. Customers should contact ComEd at 1-800-334-7661 for assistance with meter readings, outages, voltage or other delivery-related concerns.

Will my electricity service be disrupted when I switch?

No, there will be no disruption in service. You will continue to receive the same electric service through the same transmission and distribution system currently operated by ComEd. The switch to mc² is seamless.

What if my power goes out – who do I call?

ComEd is responsible for ensuring that electricity flows through its distribution network to all homes and businesses. Being a member of an electricity aggregation program does not change how ComEd responds to outages. ComEd continues to be responsible for the wires, poles, and all emergencies, including outage restoration. All service issues, including power outages, should still be reported to ComEd at 1-800-EDISON-1.

Will I receive confirmation of my switch to mc²?

ComEd will mail you a confirmation letter indicating they have received notice of your switch to mc² as your electricity supplier.

Is there an early termination fee?

No. However, you will be obligated to pay for services rendered under the contract until service is terminated.

Can I rescind my enrollment?

You may rescind your agreement with mc2 prior to enrollment with ComEd. You can also rescind your agreement and the pending enrollment with ComEd, within ten (10) days after you receive the enrollment notice from ComEd.

Who is MC Squared Energy Services, LLC?

mc² has been a licensed Alternative Retail Electricity Supplier (ARES) in the State of Illinois since March 2009, marketing to residential and commercial customers in Illinois. mc² is a wholly owned subsidiary of DPL Energy Resources, Inc. (DPLER). DPLER is, in turn, a wholly owned subsidiary of DPL Inc., a regional energy company. For more information on the company, including a leadership-team profile, please visit our website at

What is the toll-free number for questions?

If you have any questions, you can call mc² toll-free at 1-888-808-7731, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., or email your questions to